Fubon Guardians (2-2) at Chinatrust Brothers (2-2)
Thursday, March 30, 2017
Taichung Intercontinental Baseball Stadium
WP: No. 38 Bruce Kern III (1-0, 7.88 ERA)
LP: No. 17 Chang Keng-Hao (0-1, 11.57 ERA)
S: No. 17 Chen Hung-Wen (1)
MVP: Brothers No. 58 Tseng Tao-Jung (1-3, R, 2 RBI, HR, BB)
Guardians: No. 1 Lin Che-Hsuan (1)
Brothers: No. 11 Chiang Chih-Hsien (2), No. 58 Tseng Tao-Jung (2)
- The Chinatrust Brothers turned an early 6-1 deficit into a nail-biting 9-8 win on Thursday night, thanks in part to a three-run fifth inning that was capped off by a Tseng Tao-Jung go-ahead two-run blast. The game was made exponentially more exciting as the Brothers turned to Chen Hung-Wen in the ninth while up by two. The problematic closer would serve up a solo-shot in the final frame that drew skipper Cory Snyder out for a chat, but the struggling Chen would retire the next two batters to secure the win and his first save of the year.
- Making his first start in 2017 after a finger injury limited the right-hander to just two starts in 2016, Brothers starting pitcher Bruce Kern III was credited with the victory in the strangest of circumstances. The righty gave up six runs over the first three frames but muscled through eight innings to give his team a chance to win. The Brothers' bullpen has been a nightmare and with Kern's pitch count low (98 total pitches), Snyder let him go. Kern ended up yielding seven runs on nine hits.
- Fubon's 21-year-old starter Fan Yu-Yu lasted only 2.1 innings and was relieved after surrendering four runs.
- Guardians No. 28 Kao Kuo-Hui injured his hand in his previous game and was not in the line-up tonight.
- Brothers No. 11 Chiang Chih-Hsien, who DH'd tonight, finished 4-for-5 with two runs, three RBI and a home run. He is sporting a .588 average after three games.
Attendance: 3,581Game time: 2:46