Lamigo Monkeys (16-9) at Fubon Guardians (9-15)
Sunday, April 30, 2017
Xinzhuang Baseball Stadium, New Taipei City
WP: No. 11 Lin Chen-Hua (1-0, 5.79 ERA)
LP: No. 31 Yu Tsung-Ju (2-1, 6.48 ERA)
MVP: Guardians 3B No. 22 Lee Tsung-Hsien (1-4, R, RBI, BB, game-winning hit)
Monkeys: No. 21 Kuo Yen-Wen (2), No. 9 Wang Po-Jung (4)
- April ended in scintillating fashion for the CPBL with an extra-innings walk-off win for the Fubon Guardians. The Guardians took the rubber match and two of three from the first-place Lamigo Monkeys and seem to be turning the corner from a rough start to the season. The Guardians are 4-1-1 in their past six games and, with their rotation back in order, could be ready to make a push in the standings. The bullpen is still in question but two tightly contested wins over the weekend might just be what the Guardians need to get jump started.
- Guardians SP Scott Richmond made a successful return to the rotation by going six strong innings, giving up only three hits, one run (a home run to Monkeys 2B Kuo Yen-Wen), no walks, and he struck out seven.
- Despite the no-decision, Monkeys SP Darin Downs recorded another quality start by going seven innings to go along with four hits, two earned runs, three walks, and six strikeouts.
- What other trio does the combination of Monkeys SP’s Segovia-Spruill-Downs remind you of? Maddux-Smoltz-Glavine anyone? Segovia’s Maddux-like control, Spruill’s power arm like Smoltz, and a soft-throwing lefty like Glavine. The Monkeys' foreign imports have combined to make 18 starts (119.1 innings) with an 11-2 record, good for a 1.10 WHIP and 2.49 ERA. All three are in the top five for wins, ERA, strikeouts and WHIP. Woo-oh-uh-woo, oh-uh-woo, oh-woo…
- The Guardians were up by one in the ninth inning when RP Tsai Ming-Jin’s number was called to close out the game (this time a save situation). He promptly gave up a game-tying home run to Monkeys wonderkid Wang Po-Jung which sent the game into extra innings. Back to the drawing board for the Guardians bullpen.
- Guardians 3B Lee Tsung-Hsien’s walk-off hit in the bottom of the 11th was his second of the season.
- Did anyone catch a glimpse of Guardians SP Chris Seddon’s commercial-worthy hair?! Hair product companies are you paying attention? Who would you pick between him and Monkeys closer Chen Yu-Hsun? Vote in the comments below!
Game time: 4:02