Fubon Guardians (13-29-1) at Uni Lions (20-22-1)
Friday, May 26, 2017
Chengcing Lake Baseball Field, Kaohsiung
WP: No. 44 Alfredo Figaro (2-5, 6.38 ERA)
LP: No. 23 Chris Seddon (2-7, 6.07 ERA)
S: No. 33 Mike DeMark (6)
MVP: Lions SP No. 44 Alfredo Figaro (7 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 2 BB, 7 K)
- The first of a three-game set between the Guardians and Lions featured a good old-fashioned pitcher’s duel. The Lions edged their opponent 2-1 and had the winning formula tonight in Figaro-Chiu-DeMark. After losing five straight, Lions SP Alfredo Figaro needed this win badly. He went seven strong giving up only one earned run in the first inning, striking out seven and walking two along the way. Figaro then turned it over to set-up man Chiu Hao-Chun (sixth hold of the season) followed by closer Mike DeMark (sixth save of the season) who cleaned up with a 1-2-3 ninth inning. As odd as it sounds, it was refreshing to see a low-scoring, rather uneventful game.
- Guardians SP Chris Seddon definitely pitched well enough to win today but drew the short end of the stick. Seddon, also on a five-game losing streak, pitched six innings giving up only two earned runs to go along with seven hits, two walks, and four strikeouts. In his last five games, Seddon has battled but has been only serviceable at best going, five, six, five, five, and six innings, giving up seven hits in all five of those starts. Only one of the last five has been a quality start (tonight).
- Lions 2B Lin Chih-Hsiang (2-for-4, 1 RBI, SB) drove in the winning-run in the bottom of the fifth inning with a single to right-center.
- Lions 3B Chen Yung-Chi went a perfect 3-for-3 tonight, adding a walk, stolen base, and RBI.
- Guardians RF Kao Hsiao-Yi had his second three-hit game in as many nights, raising his average from .233 to .277 in the process.
Game time: 2:51