Fubon Guardians (18-24) at Uni Lions (24-16)
Sunday, September 10, 2017
Tainan Municipal Baseball Stadium
WP: No. 39 Mike Loree (13-4, 2.34 ERA)
LP: No. 41 Wang Ching-Ming (4-2, 3.96 ERA)
S: No. 96 Lin Yi-Hao (1)
MVP: Guardians SP No. 39 Mike Loree (6 IP, 2 H, 1 ER, 5 BB, 5K)
- The home turf was unkind to the home team as a routine grounder took a wicked hop off the dirt and skipped into left field off the bat of Guardians 2B Lin Wei-Ting in the top of the seventh. Lions LF Su Chih-Chieh then misplayed the ball allowing Guardians RF Chen Ping-Chieh to score all the way from first.
- The defensive miscues led to another unearned run in the top of the eighth as Lions 3B Chen Yung-Chi made a bad throw on a tough play at third off the bat of Guardians DH Hu Chin-Lung. Hu would eventually come around to score when Lions RP Chiu Hao-Chun balked home the Guardians third and final run of the game.
- It is widely known that the CPBL is an offensive league. The flip side of that coin is that the defense can sometimes be really bad. In a well-pitched and for the most part, well-played game tonight, it is a shame that the outcome was determined by an error.
- Lions SP “Mr. Sunday”, Pan Wei-Lun (four consecutive Sunday starts) and Guardians SP Mike Loree provided the bulk of the well-pitched game tonight. Both starters were on their game allowing a total of only six hits in their 11-combined innings of work. With a tap of the toes and a rock of the hips, Pan continued to lull Guardian hitters into weak grounders and fly balls, finishing his night after five innings. Loree, en route to his 13th win of the season and sixth win in a row (tying Lamigo’s Segovia and Spruill for the league lead), was even better, though, he uncharacteristically walked five batters tonight. The only hits Loree gave up were a double followed by a single off the bats of Lions' three and four hitters Pan Wu-Hsiung (double) and Su Chih-Chieh (RBI-single) to start off the sixth inning. Other than that -- notta.
- After going 98 at-bats without whiffing, Lions SS Chen Chieh-Hsien struck out again tonight going only 10 at-bats this time between striking out. His K came at a key moment in the ninth with one out and two men on. He also went hitless in four at-bats dropping his average to .407. However, Monkeys OF Wang Po-Jung also did not record hit in his game dropping his average to .406, thereby keeping Chen at the top of the batting average battle.
- Guardians RP Kuo Hung-Chih entered the game in the eighth inning with Lin Yi-Hao pitching the ninth. Lin earned his first save of the season
- Tonight's recap is dedicated to CPBL English's co-founder, Brandon DuBreuil. Check back in on Monday to find out why. Thank you Brandon!
Game time: 3:38