Fubon Guardians (16-24) at Uni Lions (24-14)
Friday, September 8, 2017
Tainan Municipal Baseball Stadium
WP: No. 11 Lin Yueh-Ping (2-2, 8.34 ERA)
LP: No. 87 Kuo Sheng-An (0-1, 4.38 ERA)
MVP: Lions 3B No. 66 Chen Chung-Ting (1-2, game-winning RBI)
Lions: Su Chih-Chieh (15), Pan Wu-Hsiung (12)
- Newcomer Lions 3B Chen Chung-Ting, who entered as a defensive replacement in the ninth inning, singled home the game-winning run with two outs in the bottom of the eleventh inning to help the Lions take the opening game of a three-game set against the Fubon Guardians.
- The Guardians had their chance to take the lead in the top half of the eleventh by putting the first two runners on via singles. They would eventually load the bases with two outs but could not push the go-ahead run across home plate.
- Lions SP Michael Nix had arguably his best game since joining the Lions. He no-hit the Guardians until a grounder up the middle by DH Chen Ping-Chieh made it through the infield. Nix would walk two consecutive batters in the first and then proceed to retire 14 straight until a walk to Guardians nine-hole hitter Yu Meng-Hsiung prior to Chen's single in the sixth inning. Nix would leave with a 2-1 lead in the seventh but you know as well as I do, no lead is safe in the CPBL. Nix would finish with a polished line of 6.1 innings, three hits, one earned run, three walks, and six strikeouts.
- Guardians SP Scott Richmond had himself a pretty good game as well, the one blemish being a two-run bomb by Lions LF Su Chih-Chieh that just cleared the fence in the home half of the first. Richmond finished with a healthy line of 6.2 innings, five hits, two earned runs, three walks, and five strikeouts.
- Lions SS Chen Chieh-Hsien went hitless! And he did not reach base! And wait for it...he STRUCK OUT! This ends a CPBL record of 98 at-bats without striking out and it’s the first time in 13 games that Chen has gone without a hit (0-for-5). His streak of reaching base also ends at 38 games.
- Guardians RP Lo Chia-Jen made his first appearance of the season. The former Houston Astro needed only 10 pitches to retire the Lions 1-2-3 hitters in the tenth.
- First pitch honors...I would wear a mask too....
Game time: 4:10