Lamigo Monkeys (3-1) at Chinatrust Brothers (1-3)
Tuesday, October 31, 2017
Intercontinental Baseball Stadium, Taichung
WP: No. 40 Zack Segovia (1-0, 2.25 ERA)
LP: No. 59 Hung Chen-Yu (0-1, 30.86 ERA)
MVP: Monkeys SS No. 6 Lin Cheng-Fei (3-for-5, 2 R, 8 RBI, HR
Monkeys: No. 6 Lin Cheng-Fei (1)
- The Lamigo Monkeys took control of the Taiwan Series Tuesday as they laid a Halloween haunting on the Chinatrust Brothers 19-3 in front of nearly 10,000 fans in Taichung to take a 3-1 series lead. The Monkeys now find themselves just one win away from capturing the 2017 CPBL title.
- The Monkeys wasted no time racking up the runs as they hung a six-spot on Brothers starter Hung Chen-Yu in the first inning thanks in part to a Chen Chun-Hsiu basesloaded two-run bloop single and a Lin Cheng-Fei two-out three-run blast to the seats in left.
- Not lost in the lopsided victory was the sensational start from Lamigo's Zack Segovia (8 IP, 6 H, 3 R, 2 ER, BB, 3 K). The consistent right-hander shut down the Brothers in the pivotal game needing only 97 pitches to get through eight quality innings. He yielded just two hits over his first six frames while retiring 11-straight batters before pitching out of some trouble in the seventh and eighth innings. Segovia was an integral part of the Monkeys' success this year and fans and management will surely hope to see him return in 2018.
- The 19 runs scored by the Monkeys smashed the previous Taiwan Series record for most runs scored --15 runs in 1996-- by four runs.
- Entering tonight, the most RBIs in a Taiwan Series game was six: Lin Chih-Sheng in 2016 and Wang Chuan-Chia in 2001. Tonight's MVP Lin Cheng-Fei took sole possession of the record with his eight RBI. Lin collected three in the first with a home run, another in the fourth with a sac-fly, and a pair of two-run doubles in the eighth and ninth innings pushed his total to eight.
- A lone bright spot for the Brothers in the blowout loss is that it allowed manager Cory Snyder to get all his players some playing time, and for a team in transition, it could prove to be valuable experience down the road.
- The Monkeys will look to finish the series Thursday night in Taichung as they try to put a bow on what has been the best and most domimant single season in CPBL history. The Brothers will have to stop a Lamigo offense that has put up a staggering 34 runs over their last two contests if they want to extend the series to a fifth (sixth) game.
Game time: 3:43