Uni Lions (34-25) at Fubon Guardians (28-32)
Sunday, October 8, 2017
Chengcing Lake Baseball Field, Kaohsiung
WP: No. 45 Shih Zhi-Chien (1-1, 4.12 ERA)
LP: No. 78 Chen Ming-Hsuan (1-8, 7.74 ERA)
S: No. 46 Yang Chien-Fu (1)
MVP: Lions SP No. 45 Shih Zhi-Chien (5 IP, 5 H, 1 ER, 2 BB, 2 K)
- Holy snikes! Are you kidding me? Do you remember the last time so much was at stake during the last game of the CPBL regular season? Exactly...you don’t because it has probably never happened! The Lions and Monkeys remain tied for the top spot in the second half standings with a winner-take-all game in Tainan on Wednesday, October 11 to decide the second half champion. Both teams are in the playoffs but if the Lions win, they bypass a series with the Brothers and tango with the Monkeys in the Taiwan Series. If the Monkeys win, they gain a one-game advantage and stay fresh against a worn-out winner from a best-of-five series between the Lions and the Brothers. Wednesday cannot get here fast enough but first, tonight’s game….
- The Lions sent youngster and 2017 first-round pick Shih Zhi-Chien to the mound as the best start of his young career could not have been more timely. Shih hurled five innings of one-run ball, allowing five hits and two walks. Shih would wiggle out of a bases loaded, no outs jam in the second inning but was otherwise effective during his 68-pitch outing. Not only would Shih pick up career win No. 1, he would earn game MVP along the way.
- Guardians SP Lin Cheng-Hsien was no slouch himself, also going five innings and allowing just one run on two hits and one walk. His eight strikeouts tied a career high. Lin ends his season having made 15 starts with a 3-4 record and a very respectable 3.79 ERA across 78.1 innings.
- For the second consecutive night the Lions bullpen was really good. Five relievers combined for four shutout innings with 14-year veteran Yang Chien-Fu collecting his first save of the season (fifth of his career and first since 2008).
- The Lions were actually outhit in this one five to nine with veteran Liu Fu-Hao coming up with the clutch go-ahead RBI-single in the sixth inning. The Guardians with threaten in the eighth by loading the bases with two outs but Lions RP Wang Ching-Ming would get pinch-hitter Chen Kai-Lun to fly out to right.
- The Guardians finish their 2017 season with a 48-2-70 season record but they actually have the upper-hand over the Lions in their season series 21-19.
Game time: 3:19